The global microfinance market is anticipated to witness steady growth over the forecast period (2017 to 2025). This growth can be attributed to the rapid rise in the number of small and medium enterprises (SMEs). Developing markets will drive expansion, a trend expected to continue until (and perhaps beyond) 2022, by which point the IMF expects annual growth for this group to have reached 5%.
By using blockchain technology for microfinancing, AssetStream will create a layer of trust and security between borrowers and lenders. It is a new paradigm of the finance business to connect with the individual lender while enabling a new source of finances for small enterprises to fuel global economic growth anywhere, anytime.
Seals the gap for the underbanked
By maximizing their social and financial performance and preserving a focus on the low-income clients it was created to serve, AssetStream taps an attractive and underserved market opportunity and intersects with their specialized expertise.
AssetStream will develop the ecosystem that delivers services not only to lenders and borrowers but also to agencies that choose to partner up with it. AssetStream funds will be financed from purchasing of AST tokens.
Hybrid Effective Processes
AssetStream will scrutinize all credit ratings for SMEs as the loan will comprise of a higher amount. To streamline the process, these hybrid processes were introduced:
- The manual method for lending consists of a lender handpicking a loan application from the platform.
- In an automated lending process, the lender sets up certain criteria for his ideal loan and the system will find projects that match and are in the fundraising phase.
- Examples of criteria are minimum credit rating of the borrower, minimum interest rate, maximum duration of the loan, maximum lend out the amount.
- Automated matching is not yet available. It is still under development
- The credit rating of small and medium enterprises will always be done manually but for individual borrowers, it will happen automatically.
- If individual borrowers are not satisfied with their credit rating, they can choose a manual credit rating. This manual credit rating will have a fee in ASD token.
Panacea for Poverty?
Investors can expect small businesses to continue to operate in such a way as to maximize the achievement of both financial and social returns. Social return on investment in microfinance helps reduce poverty and increase economic opportunities for the poor.
Microfinance is not a panacea for poverty. However, in concert with other interventions in areas such as health, education, infrastructure, market access, and a functioning and responsive government, microfinance can play an important supporting role in helping poor families around the world create more secure and rewarding lives for themselves and their communities.
Up until the turn of the century, financial institutions did not see value in serving those at the bottom of the economic pyramid. They couldn’t see how 1.7B people could translate into meaningful profits. But AssetStream is ahead of its time. On the blockchain.
AssetStream recently signed an MOU with Max Property Group (MPG), an international property investment company. Max Crowdfund is a crowdfunding platform and together with AssetStream, projects on massive numbers of their communities to support direct integration of their blockchain platforms.
250+Million Members applaud as the English Learning platform English Forward entered into an MOU with AssetStream to access microfinance resources for its teachers and learners community.